Connect with us


Will I Go for NYSC After College of Health Technology?

However, the scheme has faced various challenges over the years, which have called for the need to reform and enhance the NYSC experience. In this blog post, we will explore ways to improve the NYSC scheme in Nigeria.
Spread the love

Many individuals have been asking whether graduates from the College of Health or School of Information Management are eligible for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) program. The most recent question received by our team is whether graduates from College of Health Technology will be able to serve in NYSC.

The answer is generally ‘yes’, but not for all courses/programs offered in the Colleges of Health. Whether or not you are eligible for NYSC depends on the specific course you have studied. We will provide a detailed explanation below, so please read on.

The eligibility for NYSC depends on the accreditation status of the course/program you have studied in the College of Health or School of Information Management. The NYSC only accepts graduates from programs that have been accredited by relevant professional bodies recognized by the Nigerian government. If your course/program is accredited, you will be eligible for NYSC and will be required to serve for one year.


It is important to note that not all courses/programs offered in the Colleges of Health or School of Information Management are accredited by the relevant professional bodies. Some programs may not meet the accreditation requirements, and therefore graduates from those programs may not be eligible for NYSC. It is crucial to verify the accreditation status of your course/program before assuming that you will be eligible for NYSC.

RECOMMENDED:  How Long Does it Take for NYSC Clearance to Reflect?

Programmes in Colleges of Health Technology

Below are three (3) type of basic programmes that Colleges of Health Technology run;

1. Regular National Diploma (ND)
2. Regular Higher National Diploma (HND)
3. Certificate (Diploma Courses)


Regular ND and HND Programmes at College of Health

Graduates who have been admitted into the regular National Diploma (ND) program and subsequently progress to the Higher National Diploma (HND) program at a College of Health will be eligible for mobilization into the NYSC program upon graduation.

Graduates from the following courses/programs in Colleges of Health are eligible for NYSC:

  • Medical Laboratory Science
  • Medical Radiography and Radiological Sciences
  • Nursing Science
  • Physiotherapy
  • Dental Technology
  • Environmental Health Science
  • Health Information Management
  • Optometry
  • Public Health

On the other hand, graduates from the following courses/programs in Colleges of Health are not eligible for NYSC:

  • Pharmacy
  • Medicine and Surgery
  • Medical Rehabilitation (Physiotherapy/Occupational Therapy)
  • Medical and Health Sciences (Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, etc.)

It is important for graduates from Colleges of Health or Schools of Information Management to verify the eligibility of their specific course/program with the NYSC authorities or their institution to determine if they are eligible for NYSC participation.

How to qualify for NYSC program:

Candidates interested in qualifying for the NYSC program can follow the steps outlined below:

  1. Gain admission into a College of Health to study a National Diploma (ND) program through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).. Successfully complete the 2-year ND program.
  2. After completing the ND program, undergo a one-year Industrial Training (IT) in a recognized establishment.
  3. Purchase a Higher National Diploma (HND) form from the same College of Health or another recognized institution to obtain an HND certificate.
  4. With an HND certificate from a College of Health, you will be eligible for NYSC as long as you are not over 30 years old.
RECOMMENDED:  How To Calculate Age For NYSC Service

Alternatively, if you do not wish to pursue an HND program at a College of Health, you can purchase a JAMB Direct Entry form to transfer to a university where you can study a related course.

Please note that only graduates with either HND or Bachelor’s degree are eligible to participate in the NYSC program, regardless of the institution from which you graduated. If the certificate issued to you by the College of Health is not an HND, you will not be eligible for NYSC. This means that if you were admitted into the College of Health Technology for a diploma course only, you will not be eligible for NYSC.

Additionally, if your admission into the College of Health was not through JAMB, but you are awarded an HND after graduation, you will need to register for JAMB regularization to qualify for NYSC.


Spread the love
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Recent Posts