Connect with us


Do Polytechnic Graduates Go To NYSC?

Best Guide To Change Your NYSC PPA
Spread the love

Join NYSC WhatsApp Group

Many admission seekers often wonder if polytechnic students are eligible to participate in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC). It’s understandable why this question arises in today’s educational landscape. Most students aspire to undergo the NYSC program after completing their studies as a symbol of their educational achievement.

However, there has been a common perception that only university graduates are eligible for the national service. Even our parents and elders used to prioritize universities over polytechnics. I recall an old song that went, “I desire a university, I will go to the university, to the place where our peers are.” But times have changed!

To provide a direct answer to the question, “Do polytechnic students go to NYSC?“, it’s important to clarify the following points:

  1. Polytechnics, like universities, do send their graduates to the NYSC after completion of their studies.
  2. Whether you will go to NYSC after obtaining your Ordinary National Diploma (OND) or after completing your Higher National Diploma (HND) depends on your educational path.
  3. There is no significant difference between the NYSC program for universities and polytechnics.
RECOMMENDED:  NYSC Remobilization: Meaning, Process and How to Apply

Will I Go To NYSC Service After Graduating From Polytechnic?

Polytechnic graduates do participate in the NYSC. Once you finish your polytechnic education and fall within the service age range, you will be mobilized to serve the nation through the NYSC program.

It is important to note that the NYSC is open to all Nigerian graduates, regardless of whether they attended a university or a polytechnic. So, if you choose to pursue your education at a polytechnic, you can expect to be among the corps members serving during your graduation year, assuming all other requirements are met.

Only HND Full-Time Holders Go to NYSC

Only holders of the Higher National Diploma (HND) are qualified for NYSC, not OND holders. The OND is the first qualification you obtain as a polytechnic student, typically lasting two years on a full-time or part-time basis (or three years for regular or weekend part-time programs).

RECOMMENDED:  Sowing NYSC Extra Khaki – Do You Really Need It?

After completing the OND, you can either gain direct entry admission to a university to pursue a Bachelor’s degree or continue to the HND level, which is typically a two-year course, resulting in a four-year polytechnic education. Once you complete the HND, you will be eligible for NYSC.

Only Full-time HND Holders Can Go To NYSC Service

It’s important to note that only HND holders who completed their studies on a full-time basis are eligible for NYSC. Just like university graduates who complete part-time, distance-learning, or sandwich courses are not eligible for NYSC, the same applies to polytechnic graduates. In other words, if you completed your polytechnic education on a full-time basis, you are eligible for NYSC, assuming all other requirements are met.

RECOMMENDED:  Does Course of Affect NYSC PPA Posting?

While you can pursue your ND on a part-time basis, the HND must be completed on a full-time basis to be eligible for NYSC. This means that if you initially gained admission to the polytechnic on a part-time basis, it doesn’t affect your eligibility for NYSC. What matters is that you eventually complete your HND on a full-time basis.

Fortunately, it is possible to pursue your ND on a part-time basis and then transition to a full-time HND program. In this case, you will be eligible to participate in the NYSC program.

Join NYSC WhatsApp Group
Spread the love
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Recent Posts